[tlbuild] x86_64-darwinlegacy binaries changed?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 18:09:23 CET 2019

Dear Karl,

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 23:42, Karl Berry wrote:

> Also, every darwinlegacy binary changed even though most sources were
> unchanged, which is a bit disturbing.

I changed the compiler (from clang 5.0 to 7.0) between
    http://build.contextgarden.net/builders/texlive.darwin-x86_64.prg/builds/352
and
    http://build.contextgarden.net/builders/texlive.darwin-x86_64.prg/builds/354
which finished building on
    2019-02-28 00:05:07 UTC
while your commit
    http://tug.org/svn/texlive?view=revision&revision=50150
was a few minutes earlier than that, so it couldn't have picked up the
ones compiled with a newer compiler.

Back in 2017 I would compile with the system complier just for the
sake of preserving binary compatibility in future builds. The default
system compiler no longer works (C++11), so I'm out of good ideas what
to do other than sticking with one particular compiler (like the
latest stable clang) for one year and revisit compiler choice before
the next year's round begins.

These binaries still need to be tested on Lion just in case (I don't
have a VM with me, I'm currently far away from home until 24th). I
took libc++ from Lion's SDK last year, I hope that that bit is still
functional. I now also remembered why I don't build X11: it's not
present in the default SDK, it needs to be installed separately, and
I'm not sure whether I want to mess with that, given that nobody will
miss it; I use the SDK instead of default system folders just in case,
to make sure that things stay clean and isolated and don't link
against MacPorts by pure coincidence. If I don't use the SDK, various
files (libc++ in particular) could keep being overwritten by MacPorts
and end up in TeX Live by accident.

(I'm currently using "-Os" since the last year. I could change it if needed.)

Mojca

To Ken: in case you get bored, are you willing to check if binaries from
    svn://tug.org/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/x86_64-darwinlegacy
(in particular luatex, xetex) still work fine on Lion?