[tlbuild] running into problems with "prefix", for starters.

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Feb 4 06:45:50 CET 2019

Hi Amos,

On Sun, 03 Feb 2019, Amos wrote:
> %install
> ## unpack the texmf stuff
> mkdir -p %{buildroot}%{texmf_dist_root}
> pushd %{buildroot}%{texmf_dist_root}
> xzcat %{SOURCE1} | tar xf -

What is SOURCE1 ?

I hope it is the texmf-dist tree.

> $ kpsewhich --all texmf.cnf
> /usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
> $ latex small2e.tex
> This is TeXk, Version 3.14159265 (TeX Live 2018) (preloaded format=latex)
>  restricted \write18 enabled.
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
> Can't locate mktexlsr.pl in @INC (@INC contains: //tlpkg

You have the binaries in /usr/bin, right?

How can the binaries find their *very*first* texmf.cnf? Think about it!

The path are hard compiled in generated from the shipped texmf.cnf, and
are more or less SELFAUTOPARENT...

See the Debian patch
	https://github.com/debian-tex/texlive-bin/blob/master/debian/patches/debian-builtin-searchpath
that adjusts that. We have the binaries in /usr/bin, and the runtime
files in /usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist. You need to adjust that.

> I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

Reason is above.

> 3) Installing TeXLive in this manner, there's no "latex" nor "pdflatex"
> commands.  Why?  I can sym link them to tex and pdftex, respectively. (I

Please do read README.3installation, esp the first page!!! The source tarball
is used to create the binaries we ship, the actual files are in the Master svn
dir.

> isn't done as part of the "make install".

No.  You need to do the equivalent of
	install-tl
or run texlinks, or anything related to this.

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer