[tlbuild] install-tl script is broken

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jul 17 01:27:33 CEST 2018

On 2018-07-16 at 18:42:41 +0300, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

 > Hello,
 >
 > A friend of mine tried to install TeXLive on a Solaris box and
 > after installation there were no binaries. In fact, the
 > installation script printed the following message:
 >
 > Detected platform: Solaris on Intel x86
 >
 > *** WARNING: No binaries for your platform found.
 >  <B> set binary platforms: 0 out of 8
 >
 > ​Well there is a problem here. The system is ​x86_64-pc-solaris2.11​
 > and the folder  ./texlive/archive contains
 >
 > pdftex.x86_64-solaris.tar.xz
 > xetex.x86_64-solaris.tar.xz

Hi Apostolos,
is "​x86_64-pc-solaris2.11" the output of config.guess?  This is what
the installer uses in order to detect Unix platforms.

Platform detection is performed by the function platform_name() in
tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm .

Here

  print(platform_name("x86_64-pc-solaris2.11"), "\n");

correctly returns

  x86_64-solaris

I don't know what went wrong.

And from your other mail:

 > And to help to solve the problem reported in my previous message,
 > one should use the isainfo command. On x86_64 systems the command
 > isainfo -b will print 64 while one i386 systems it will print 32.

I don't see any advantage.  isainfo doesn't provide any information we
can't already derive from config.guess.

 > Thus it includes the correct binaries, fails to correctly detect
 > the system and one cannot install the binaries. Any suggestion to
 > solve this problem?

I have no clue.

Regards,
  Reinhard