[tlbuild] Building without X11?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 19:42:52 CEST 2018

Hi,

I have a slightly different question from the one I initially wrote, actually.

If I install (non-legacy, that that will end up in MacTeX) binaries on
10.13, I get:

> mf -version
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/X11/lib/libSM.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/tl/2018/bin/x86_64-darwin/mf
  Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6

> mflua-nowin -version
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/X11/lib/libSM.6.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/tl/2018/bin/x86_64-darwin/mflua-nowin
  Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6

etc. But mf-nowin works fine despite "otool -L mflua-nowin" listing a
bunch of X11 libraries (I wonder how that is even possible) and mflua
format says "disabled", whatever that means.

>From that I also suspect that mflua-nowin has a slightly broken build
configuration files as it behaves different from metafont itself. (I
still don't understand why those X11 libraries end up showing in
mf-nowin, but that's yet another thing which I would also consider
semi-weird or somewhat broken.)

While I don't care about pdfopen/pdfclose (I would never attempt to
use it), a defunct metafont might have some more serious consequences.
I tried to figure out if this could lead to any troubles when running
the installer, but I wasn't sure how to reliably check.

The
    fmtutil-sys --byfmt mf
command uses mf-nowin which works correctly, while
    fmtutil-sys --byfmt mflua
says
    fmtutil [INFO]: did not find entry for byfmt=mflua, skipped
    fmtutil [INFO]: Disabled formats: 1
    fmtutil [INFO]: Not selected formats: 8
    fmtutil [INFO]: Total formats: 9
I didn't install the full scheme though and I'm no longer compiling
any of those documents where metafont would be called all the time,
telling me that it's unable to find some fonts (but I guess it uses
mf-nowin, so one should be on the safe side).

Mojca