[tlbuild] armel-linux?

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Wed Mar 28 23:00:17 CEST 2018

Am Tue, 27 Mar 2018 21:32:15 GMT
schrieb Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>:

> Boris may not be able to build armel-linux this year.
> Anyone else have access to that platform?
> Or maybe we should just drop it? --thanks, karl.

I advocate for dropping:

In fact, I have wondered before why TL advertises armhf-linux for the
Raspberry Pi [0], while elsewhere in the community, the original Pi
(due to its mixed-up state of CPU features) made OSes fall back to
armel as the architecture of choice [1].
RPi 2 and above speak full armhf, as today's most SBCs, tablets,
smartphones etc., where you could want to run TL on.

So with restricting TL to armhf-linux, we (might?) just lose RPi 1
folks (to TL17, or distributions' builds), and probably those Android
users that don't have explicit armhf support (I'm not an expert of
Android, but it seems not that unusual anymore that it can run armhf
binaries on armhf-capable hardware).

[0] https://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html
[1] see e. g. https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi