[tlbuild] ICU build error on FreeBSD 11.1

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:17:55 CET 2018

On 22 March 2018 at 10:29, Johannes Hielscher wrote:
> Am Sun, 18 Mar 2018 19:08:28 +0100 schrieb Mojca Miklavec :
>
>> Would you be willing to test 11.1 in case you have access to it? I'm
>> curious if it's just me doing something wrong on the machine or if
>> there's in fact a problem that could be solved without too much
>> hassle.
> I ran a build run for amd64-freebsd on FreeBSD 11.1 (svn -r47054, with
> gmake and clang 4.0.0). ICU builds without issues here.

Now that's confusing / strange. Our machines are running

FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1 (both i386 and amd64)

$ cc --version
FreeBSD clang version 4.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_400/final 297347) (based on
LLVM 4.0.0)
Target: i386-unknown-freebsd11.1
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin

I'll try to investigate what could go wrong or if I can reproduce a
successful build on a clean VM.

I wonder if ICU is having some strange interaction with the
environment or installed libraries or whatever. It's well known for
not respecting all the build flags at least.

Thanks a lot for the feedback,