[tlbuild] PostScript support in dvisvgm for darwin(legacy)

Martin Gieseking martin.gieseking at uos.de
Thu Mar 15 14:26:09 CET 2018

Hi Mojca,

Am 15.03.2018 um 12:13 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
> Jean-François asked me if I could link dvisvgm in TeX Live against
> libgs. Linux binaries apparently work out of the box, while mac (at
> least the legacy ones) binaries currently require manually specifying
> the path to the library (which works, but causes some inconvenience
> when calling).

If you don't link libgs directly, dvisvgm tries to dlopen the library.
Therefore, libgs must be located in a directory that is part of the ld
search path. Otherwise, it's necessary to specify the location via
command-line option --libgs or environment variable LIBGS. It's almost
the same on Windows except that the Ghostscript DLL is looked up through
the executable's search PATH.

Since I don't have access to a Mac, I can't really tell anything
reliable about that system, but if it's possible to add /opt/local/lib/
to the search path of the dynamic linker, everything should work without
the need to link libgs to dvisvgm.

> How does that work on Windows (in TL)? (I assume Akira compiles
> everything though, with a lot of additional effort.)

As far as I can tell, Akira's binaries also use the dynamic lookup of
the GS DLL.

Best,
Martin