[tlbuild] slower?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 01:18:57 CET 2018

On 6 March 2018 at 13:38, Bob Tennent <rdt at cs.queensu.ca> wrote:

> Is anybody else using tl2018 finding it slower (particularly
> lua scripts)?
>
> Bob T.

As a general rule, software gets slower and CPU's faster over time.
This year, many will find CPU's running more slowly.

I/O intensive tasks have been reported to run as much as 30% slower
on current systems with meltdown and spectre mitigations.  At work
we have seen very significant (deadline breaking) slowdowns of I/O
intensive processing, but we don't have good timing from "before
mitigation" and the input data changed in a way that may take longer
to process. I suspect those antique CPU's that are no longer being
made would suffer more, but not sure they get the same set (or any)
of mitigations available for current CPU's.  The mitigations are
complex and in a state of flux.    It is hard to predict whether changes to
compilers and lagnuage implementations can claw back some of the
lost performance.  I think we can be sure Intel will be pushing new
CPU designs.

--
George N. White III