[tlbuild] casefolding fallback search

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 12:51:11 CET 2018

On 6 February 2018 at 12:33, Hironobu Yamashita wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
>> And I committed some changes to kpathsea/pathsearch.c to partially
>> implement a fallback casefolding search. It should only be compiled in
>> on Unix; #ifdef-d out on Windows.
>
> I think macOS (at least <= 10.12 Sierra) should also be disabled, as
> it's file system HFS is case-insensitive. I don't know much about
> 10.13 High Sierra (which is said that new case-sensitive APFS is
> available). My test failure (OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan) attached.

Any version of Mac OS X / macOS can have the hard drive formatted as
either case sensitive or case insensitive. Nothing changed with 10.13.
Yes, the default file system changed, but one can still format the
drive as either case sensitive or case insensitive.

I have absolutely no idea how the patch could or should(?) affect
macOS, but it should certainly not be "#ifdef __APPLE" or anything in
that sense because the functionality depends on the way the disk has
been formatted.