[tlbuild] Older Mac systems

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 06:50:12 CET 2018

On 18 January 2018 at 00:04, Karl Berry wrote:
> I just didn't know if --std=c++11 would be supported on the older
> mac system you compiled on.

It is supported as long as one uses a newer compiler and newer stdlib.
I'll try to see how far I can get. We can certainly support 10.7 with
relative ease using one of the latest versions of clang, but I'm
tempted to keep compatibility with 10.6 which would potentially
require bundling libc++ along with the binaries.

I know that Windows bundles a number of additional files and I wanted
to ask whether it would be acceptable to ship the libc++ library along
with the TeX binaries. The idea is to use the system libc++ library
whenever one is available and to fall back to the one shipped with TeX
Live whenever it is not. I need slightly more time to prepare the
build scripts that would fix the path to the libraries though.

PPC is slightly more challenging and cross-compiling will almost
certainly no longer work.