[tlbuild] Building on the Macintosh

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Wed Jan 17 16:32:27 CET 2018

Karl,

I just tried the hint below, replacing CC by OBJC. Just before compiling, I updated my source to the current server version.

Same error as before.

> On Jan 16, 2018, at 3:00 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>
>    XeTeX is using ordinary C
>
> Isn't it using objc for the file in question, not cc?
>
> 	CC="clang -Dchar16_t=uint16_t" ...
>
> If objc is the issue, I think the above would work if it defined OBJC
> instead of CC. Why it worked for AS, I don't know, but it's not
> something I care to pursue.
>
> But my ./Build recipe in the previous message is compiler-independent. -k

I also tried

	env TL_COMPILER_GFLAGS='-g -O2 -Dchar16_t=uint16_t' ./Build -g

This caused earlier errors, I believe in popplet.

Notice that in modern C++, char16_t is a BUILT-IN type. So it seems to me that efforts to tell compilers to equate it to something else are likely not to work. (Maybe a naive opinion!)

The one thing I cannot test is the patch from Akira Kakuto, because I cannot run reautoconf. Norbert tells me that this is in the sources for TeX Live, but warns that it requires automake, autoconf, etc. I don't have these.

So I'm hoping that you will, at least temporarily, install the patch so I can test it. This patch only affects XETEX and it only applies on the MAC, and so it seems close to the least dangerous thing to try.

(Luckily this should all go away next year when we use Sierra and the compilers work.)

Dick Koch