[tlbuild] aarch64/armv8h binary distribution?

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Sat Oct 14 00:24:56 CEST 2017

Am Tue, 3 Oct 2017 23:17:59 GMT
schrieb Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>:

> To add a new platform to TL, what specifically is needed is
> - config.guess output on the system,

$ source/build-aux/config.guess
aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu

(Debian GNU/Linux stretch arm64)

> - suggested description string (see platform_desc
>   in tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm for existing ones),

  my %platform_name = (
    'aarch64-linux'      => 'GNU/Linux on AArch64 (arm64/armv8)',
  );

Compilers (GCC, LLVM/clang) favour the name "aarch64" for the 64-bit
ARMv8 instruction set, while the majority of OSes/distros (Debian,
Gentoo, *BSD et al.) tend to call it "arm64". I'd prefer the former, as
it is not as easy to mix up with "amd64".
Unfortunately, the "x86_64"/"amd64" schism isn't the only one to cope
with in platform nomenclature…

> - xz+xzdec stripped binaries,
no problems with that

> - tarball of the (stripped) binaries, preferably with no subdir
>   in the archive, and including all scripts and optional (notably asy)
>   programs ==> the bindir resulting from the build, essentially.

For the binaries, I am stuck at an issue with the interdependence
of libraries: gd does not find the libpng (which has been built just
before) and its ./configure dies at

checking for png_create_read_struct... no
configure: error: libpng not found
=== configuring in gd failed

At some point gd's source preparation got upset and didn't want to
recognise the libpng lying just next to its own path (maybe due to an
unobvious platform dependence in the initial dependency resolver, or
just some overseen detail of Debian's build environment
fragmentation---help appreciated!). The whole ./Build runs fine on
Archlinux x86_64 (in the very same directory).

Everything else apparently builds properly: by appending
"--with-system-gd --disable-native-texlive-build", ./Build successfully
creates non-portable variants of the binaries; however ths is of course
useless for TL upstream.

> https://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html#deploy

Building asymptote works straightforward (with both of
--{en,dis}able--gl ; which one is better suited?).

For xindy I cannot estimate success, clisp still needs more attention…