[tlbuild] Solaris fails to process asy's Makefile

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Apr 16 23:51:05 CEST 2016

Hi Mojca - regarding dynamic libraries.

1) Could just live with it.  The binaries won't work for everyone, but
in general we don't try to statically link everything for asy as we do
for other programs.  My asy for i386-linux links against libstdc++ and
libgcc dynamically.

2) That said, try adding -static to the link line to get everything
linked statically.  I'm not sure if it'll be successful, but it's the
easiest thing to try.

3) If you need to break it down, and for background, what we do for TL
is a hack to link libstdc++ (alone) statically, since we must continue
to link libc and libm (and fontconfig, etc.)  dynamically.  It boils
down to a load line like this:

g++ "$@" -nodefaultlibs -Wl,-Bstatic -lstdc++ -Wl,-Bdynamic -lm -lgcc_eh -lgcc -lc -lgcc_eh -lgcc

(It ends up encapsulated in a file CXXLD.sh in the build directory.)
You could probably do the same -Wl,-Bstatic ... -Wl,-Bdynamic to
statically link libgcc.

4) I don't think an older compiler, per se, would make a difference.
This basic situation hasn't changed for many years.

karl