[tlbuild] Can't locate mktexlsr.pl]

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 12 00:26:54 CET 2016

Whoops, thought I was replying to the list (the headers only showed
the list when I read it), but it went to YuGiOhJCJ.  Forwarding to
the list now.

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 07:45:28PM +0100, YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to build texlive-20150521-source on Slackware 14.1.
> I followed the LFS instructions [1].
>
> The result is:
> $ sudo mktexlsr
> mktexlsr: Done.
> $ sudo fmtutil-sys --all
> Can't locate mktexlsr.pl in @INC (@INC contains: /opt/texlive/tlpkg /opt/texlive/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive /usr/local/lib/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /opt/texlive/2015/bin/fmtutil line 23.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/texlive/2015/bin/fmtutil line 25.
>
> The mktexlsr.pl file is not found.
> Here is the correct location for this file:
> $ find /opt/texlive -name "mktexlsr.pl"
> /opt/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/mktexlsr.pl
>
> This directory "/opt/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/scripts/" is not listed above but we can see "/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive" that is similar.
>
> Why following these LFS instructions "fmtutil-sys" is looking at an incorrect location to find the mktexlsr.pl file please?
>
> Thank you.
> Best regards.
>
> [1] http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/pst/texlive.html

I prefer to deal with problems in blfs on the blfs-support list.
Just because you aren't using LFS as the base system is not
necessarily a problem.  But I (the person who has to take the blame
for those instructions) am on this list and will reply here later.

At the moment I'm not at any of my desktop machines, but I did build
all of TeX Live a few days ago (including latest asymptote, biber,
and current xindy) on my new test machine, using the scripts from
which I ostensibly updated blfs.

At the moment, I think it is entirely possible that the instructions
might be wrong (I make a lot of mistakes, and hardly anybody using
blfs builds TeX Live from source : apparently we only added it in the
first place because some other packages could use it to build docs -
and several of those no longer work with current TeX Live).  But I do
remember discussing the 2015 changes with someone else, and I thought
what is there had been tested by another editor about 6 months ago
(before our 7.8 release).

ĸen