[tlbuild] Problems with xdvipdmfx (at least) and some fonts

Fabian Greffrath fabian at greffrath.com
Thu Sep 3 10:08:29 CEST 2015

Hi again,

Am Montag, den 31.08.2015, 18:10 +0200 schrieb Fabian Greffrath:
> Actually, this issue is mitigated by starting with an already ordered
> allFonts font set. The attached patch does just this, I hope it to be
> my final take on this. ;)

of course it was not. ;)

The attached patch goes three steps further:

1) It finally removes the debug output.

2) It checks for non-outline fonts in the font set and skipps them.

Apparently I was wrong when I stated

> Please note that the number of returned fonts does not change between
> FcFontList() and FcFontSort(), it is just the ordering with relevance
> to the search pattern.

As it turns out, I was right "by accident" because I have non-outline
fonts globally disabled in my fontconfig setup. However, I have learned
from this thread that "[FcFontSort() called with "outline=true"
pattern] prefers outline fonts, but will return non-outline if they add
to the global coverage."

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/fontconfig/2015-August/005551.html

3) It uses the API as indended and calls FcConfigSubstitute() and
FcDefaultSubstitute() before calling FcFontSort(). This was simply
forgotten in the previous patch.

Thank you very much for your patience!

Cheers,

Fabian