[tlbuild] dvisvgm

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 14:16:10 CEST 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Nikola Lečić wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 09:59:40 +0200
> Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 6:18 AM, Bob Tennent wrote:
>> Recent gcc is required because there is some code in TL that doesn't
>> compile with older compiler. Notable examples include LuaJIT and ICU,
>> but there might be other "black sheep". (I'm not sure what is the
>> minimum version of GCC this year, but last year Karl reported that at
>> least gcc 4.6 was needed.)
>
> I compiled everything successfully with gcc-4.2.1 (except asy). All
> tests passed.

I only remembered that I had to upgrade the compiler. I checked which
version I had before and it was 3.3 and 3.4.3, so no wonder I needed
to upgrade. (The version 4.6 reported by Karl might just as well mean
that there was some weird bug in the gcc 4.5 that he tried to use.
Pure speculation though.)

LuaJIT seems to have different requirements for different platforms:
http://luajit.org/install.html. ICU is also a bit picky about compiler
version. There is some chance that even gcc 4.1 works on some
configurations, but independent of that the point still stands:
default compiler might not suffice. Using an older or newer compiler
is "allowed" as long as sources can be compiled. Using the latest
linux distribution on the other hand is not acceptable.

It might be worth checking whether using an older compiler can solve this issue.