[tlbuild] interact.cc and getline insanity

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Apr 25 01:06:36 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-24 at 11:26:50 -0600, John Bowman wrote:

 > I'm willing to add the attached patch for nonPOSIX 2008 to the
 > sources for one more year (sigh).
 > But please put pressure on your vendors about making Solaris POSIX
 > 2008 compliant so we can someday clean up this code once and for
 > all.

Hi John,
it's a matter of fact that getline() is a good thing and I fully
understand why you want to use it in the first place.

On the other hand I have to second Mojca and Apostolos.  TeX Live's
policy is to avoid forcing users to upgrade their systems in order to
run the latest release of TeX Live.  Users certainly don't understand
why they should do that while all other programs they use still work.

Hence, if autoconf is able to detect whether getline() is available or
not, I don't think it's worthwhile to remove the workaround in the
near future, regardless of its ugliness.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25