[tlbuild] Horrible ICU

Alan BRASLAU alan.braslau at cea.fr
Sat Apr 19 21:03:22 CEST 2014

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 14:39:28 +0400
Nikola Lečić <nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 08:03:15 +0200
> Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau at cea.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried building TL on a 64bit kfreebsd userland under a freebsd
> > jail. It is a complete, clean system, intended to have the minimal
> > number of dependencies for the TL build.
> [...]
> > It appears that icu is trying some (too) clever scheme to detect
> > cross-compiling, which this is NOT. Building in this way (kfreebsd
> > userland in a jail running under a freebsd kernel) should work, and
> > such a build succeeds with 32bit versions (kfreebsd+freebsd).
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> FreeBSD jails don't affect the output of kernel-related commands,
> including the output of uname (if will show you the truth, i.e. the
> configuration of the physical machine).
>
> Try to set
>
> MACHINE_ARCH
> OSVERSION
> BRANCH "STABLE"
> REVISION "7.2"
> UNAME_p
> UNAME_m
> UNAME_s
> UNAME_r
> UNAME_v
>
> according to the jailed system and test the output of `uname -a`. If
> you set them properly, it is virtually impossible for the compiler to
> find out that it's operating in a jail (except if it uses sysctl,
> which is not the case with the software included in TL).
>
> HTH,

kfreebsd in a jail reports this:

root at kfreebsd64:/# uname -a
GNU/kFreeBSD kfreebsd64 10.0-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p1 #0: Tue Apr  8 06:45:06 UTC 2014     root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC x86_64 amd64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9400  @ 2.66GHz GNU/kFreeBSD

a mixture of the underlying kernel and the userland. The problem is not
there, but rather in the configure of ICU that appears to attempt to
compile and then execute some code. Of course, this should work, and
does work in the 32bit variant, but I have not figured it out for the
64bit variant as the ICU configure and build does not seem very obvious.

The config.log under the ICU build is empty, just to make things
easier.

I have no problems compiling luatex, luajittex, metapost and xetex
under the 64bit jail.

Alan