[tlbuild] first builds for TL 2014

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 13:59:17 CEST 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM, Karl Berry wrote:

> Those of you who supply wget (bsd, irix, w32), please also update that
> to the current version too -- available from
> http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/wget/wget-1.15.tar.gz (among others).
>   (Mojca: if you have or can easily build wget for sparc-solaris, great,
>    otherwise I can work on it.  (Initial attempts failed, sigh.)  I'm
>    leaving the main sparc-solaris build for you for sure. :)

I wrote off-list already, but the list of "problems" with solaris includes:

- I don't know yet how to build wget without ending up with
dependencies on a whole bunch of libraries.

- There doesn't seem to be any standard place where X11 headers are
stored (but maybe that's not a problem).

- xdvi-xaw ends up linking against /opt/csw/lib/libiconv.so.2 which
probably doesn't exist on other machines; I checked the binary from
last year and that one fails to work for me:
> ./xdvi-xaw --help
ld.so.1: xdvi-xaw: fatal: libiconv.so.2: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed
> ldd xdvi-xaw
        libXaw.so.5 =>   /usr/lib/libXaw.so.5
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /lib/libnsl.so.1
        libiconv.so.2 =>         (file not found)
        libm.so.2 =>     /lib/libm.so.2

- xetex depends on libfontconfig which probably isn't installed on any
standard place either. I end up with
xetex:
        libfontconfig.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
        libfreetype.so.6 =>      /usr/sfw/lib/libfreetype.so.6
        libz.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libz.so.1
        libexpat.so.0 =>         /usr/sfw/lib/libexpat.so.0
and I really wonder if such a binary would work elsewhere.

Nonetheless other binaries (apart from those depending on X11) seem ok.

But I wouldn't dare compiling wget without a non-trivial amount of
effort to statically compile all or at least most of the dependencies.
I didn't check xz yet.