[tlbuild] TeX Live 2013 build status at Utah

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri May 31 01:21:21 CEST 2013

Hi Nelson,

    Solaris 10 has been included on all previous TeX Live releases

And it will be on this one too.  Ettore built i386/x86_64-solaris on
Solaris 10 and I built sparc-solaris on one of your own machines
(sunbird).

    because the Build script insists on doing the rough equivalent of

Well, the Build script doesn't really insist on anything, essentially
everything it does is overridable by environment variables.

To do post-configure stuff, you could make a script named, say, myconf,
like this (just a skeleton):

---------------------------
#!/bin/sh
./configure "$@" || exit 1
<your post-configure stuff>
---------------------------

And then run env TL_CONFIGURE=./myconf ./Build ...

Anyway, since it's obviously trivial to allow for an explicit
postconfigure script, which would feel nicer, I'll insert that after the
release is out.

    Most packages that use -liconv can be configured without it, but not
    xdvik: it ignores any --without-iconv or -with-iconv=no options.

I'm not sure how that came about, but either we or Paul (Vojta) should
be able to fix it.

    make[3]: Entering directory
    `/local/build/bare/texlive-20130524/source/Work/libs/freetype'

Unless Peter (Breitenlohner) sees problems, I believe we are going to
eliminate freetype (and just have freetype2) soon anyway.

    ld warning: in ./.libs/libkpathsea.a, file is not of required architecture

At first blush, that looks like a compiler/linker mismatch or other
configuration problem.  I seem to remember seeing similar messages on
your fuji machine (MacOS 9) at one point, that I could only resolve (as
I recall -- this was years ago) by using the system toolchain.

    I have NEVER got any TeX Live version from this year, or any
    previous year, to build on Mac OS X on either PowerPC or x86.

FWIW, Dick Koch has a lengthy write-up of how he puts together MacTeX.
It's in the file source/mactexdoc.tar.xz in TL.  Of course most of it
would be irrelevant to the straight build, but maybe the necessary hints
to get the build working are there.

    It seems likely that having newer gcc-4.x compiler families installed

We only succeeded in building TL13 with gcc-4.6, specifically.  This is
not because of anything in the TeX world itself, but because of the
horrible new(ish) dependencies on the huge third-party libraries --
graphite, cairo, icu, etc.  You could probably build TL without luatex
and xetex and then be able to omit the problematic dependencies.  They
provide fundamental features for those engines and there is no viable
alternative (that I know of).

Best,
karl