[tlbuild] asy 2.23

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 21 23:27:08 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Just one small question: since
> considerations of space on the DVD made you drop some platforms, do you have
> statistical data about the number of downloads of the available
> architectures, and is it accessible or could be made accessible for
> builders?

The problem is that there are lots and lots of mirrors involved and
unless one starts a project of monitoring logs from all of them, there
will never be any reliable numbers available. On "my" mirror there
have been about 700 downloads of luatex.$arch.tar.xz via TeX Live's
lwp/wget in 2013 (older logs have been deleted; it would definitely be
more interesting to observe logs from short after the release).

win32: 463
linux: 184 (x86_64: 118, i386: 63, armel: 2, mipsel: 1)
darwin: 58
amd64-freebsd: 1
i386-cygwin: 1

> I'm aware that this will be pretty inaccurate as it only takes
> into account people using the online installation and not the DVD, but it
> would still provide a hint about the relative importance of different
> builds.

The above numbers don't tell you anything new: just that Windows,
Linux & Mac OS X are the most popular platforms, all other numbers are
too unreliable.