[tlbuild] pruning platforms

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 17 00:38:38 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Karl Berry wrote:

> I realize that in theory people could
> want to read the DVD on some other system and install for arm and then
> copy, or some such, but ... seems pretty rare.  Such people should be
> able to deal.

I don't know how difficult this is to implement, I'm just thinking
loud. Let's say that a user of a rare platform gets the DVD with all
the packages but his architecture. The optimal solution would be to
ship xzdec for the platform nonetheless, and then:
- download the necessary binaries from CTAN mirror
- take everything else from the DVD

Is implementing this doable? And if not (it's probably a bit late for
radical changes?), it could be helpful to print a message during
installation, telling the user that the binaries are available for his
platform and where he can find additional information about how to
perform the installation if he wants to save bandwidth.