[tlbuild] symlink versus a copy of the script

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Jun 4 11:49:28 CEST 2012

On Tue, 29 May 2012, Norbert Preining wrote:

> On Mo, 28 Mai 2012, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> My question: why is mtxrun not a symlink as well, at least for unix
>> platforms? I'm not sure how it works for windows where we have
>
> No idea, history?
> fmtutil is also a copy instad of a symlink.
> THis popped up recently in a discussion between Peter and me but
> we decided to not change anything for now.

Hi Mojca,

there are several reasons:

(1) history.  I have not changed any things related to context, in part
because I don't know how they work.

(2) the reason for the linked scripts is explained in lines 147ff of
Makefile.am in texk/texlive/linked_scripts/, this does, however, not apply
to shell scripts.

Regards
Peter