[tlbuild] tlmgr repository list?

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Sat May 19 22:32:59 CEST 2012

I've just gone through a TeX Live 2011 install from DVD on a
newly-installed Windows 7 (64-bit) system.  I then ran the TeX Live
Manager GUI, and found that the tlmgr -> "Load other repository" menu
path has two problems: the typein box is far too short for a typical
entry, and there is no list of known TeX Live 2011 mirrors (we are one
of them).  The URL is long enough that I cannot remember it, so I have
to look it up in my scripts or logs, and then laboriously type it in.

So, for TeX Live 2012, is it feasible to populate the tlmgr repository
selection feature for Unix, Mac OS X, and Windows, with a list of
known repositories (and ideally, their city, state/province/region,
and country), so that (a) tedious typein is avoided, and (b) people
are more likely to choose a repository near them, instead of using the
default, which might lie more than a continent and ocean away?

For reference, here is our mirror URL and its location:

	http://ctan.math.utah.edu/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet
	Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
	Latitude-Longitude:	40 46 00 + / 111 50 55 -