[tlbuild] TeX Live 2012 build progress report from Utah

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed May 2 18:34:20 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2 May 2012, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

>> On GNU/Linux SPARC, libicu compilations succeed, but I get the
>> previously-discussed-on-this-list
>>
>> 	udata_swapDataHeader(): header size mismatch - headerSize 32768
>> infoSize 5120 length 1024
>
> This looks like the same endianness problem as encountered by Karl Berry, no
> idea what goes wrong.  It might well be that ICU-49 as distributed also
> mishandles the SPARC.

Hi Nelson,

I have looked into this, and it seems that configure correctly determines
that the sparc is bigendian and thus needs to build icudt49b.dat from the
icudt49l.dat in the source tree.  The information U_IS_BIG_ENDIAN=1 is,
however, for ICU-49 not communicated to the build process as it was for
ICU-4.8 but rather determined anew in common/unicode/platform.h lines 338ff
(what a 'progress').  Could you try to find out what goes wrong with that
piece of code?

Similarly, configure for the BSD variants should detect that there is no
Posix compatible timezone, nor __timezone, nor _timezone, but this is again
ignored and re-determined in common/putilimp.h lines 113ff (based on
U_PLATFORM==U_PF_BSD) which in turn is determined in
common/unicode/platform.h lines 120ff.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>