[tlbuild] progress report on libXaw3d-1.6.2

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Sat Apr 21 03:08:12 CEST 2012

I spent part of yesterday, and this morning, attempting to build and
install

	http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/lib/libXaw3d-1.6.2.tar.gz

on all of our 25 or so Unix platforms.

For TeX Live 2012 builds, only a single package is capable of using
the Xaw3d library: source/texk/xdvik.

  --with-xdvi-x-toolkit=KIT
                          Use toolkit KIT (motif/xaw/xaw3d/neXtaw) for xdvi
                          [default: Motif if available, else Xaw]

The libXaw3d-1.6.2 library built flawlessly on all flavors of GNU/Linux.

On Solaris 11 x86_64, after using the native "pkg install" command to
update pkg-config to the latest version, and to install the
previously-missing libXss, libXdmcp, and libXevie (both 32-bit and
64-bit versions are installed at the same time), I was able to build
32-bit and 64-bit versions of the new libXaw3d using native compilers,
like this:

	set path=(/bin /usr/ccs/bin)
	env CC='cc -m32 -KPIC' CXX='CC -m32 -KPIC' ./configure && make && make install

	set path=(/bin /usr/ccs/bin)
	env CC='cc -m64 -KPIC' CXX='CC -m64 -KPIC' ./configure \
	    --libdir=/usr/local/lib/64 --bindir=/usr/local/bin/amd64 && \
		make && make install

[The curious bin/amd64 (and bin/sparcv9) are the Solaris 10 and 11
conventions for the locations of 64-bit executables; libraries are in
lib/64/.]

On all BSD flavors, IRIX, Mac OS X (PowerPC and x86_64), and Solaris
10 (SPARC and x86_64), the builds failed because the configure script
requires that pkg-config be able to report the locations of various
X11 libraries.  I have not been able to figure out successfully how to
do that via environment variables (which, according to configure
output, is supposed to be possible).  Thus, configure fails, and no
Makefile is created.  On those systems, therefore, I'm continuing to
use the previously-installed versions of libXaw3d (built with imake
and xmkmf, and often, patches to the generated Makefiles).