[tlbuild] more on /usr/local/lib dependencies

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Fri Apr 20 08:43:03 CEST 2012

Hi Nelson,

I assume the list below is based on the output from 'ldd mf' and similar.
As we discussed at length last year, that shows dependencies directly
encoded into the binaries as well as those pulled in by these dependencies.
So what we'd need to see is the corresponding info from 'objdump -p mf' and
such.

Just another question: why is your libgcc_s.so in /usr/local/lib - that
looks quite unusual for a linux system.

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

> % cd /local/build/bare/texlive-20120417/source/inst/bin/alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu
> % /usr/local/src/texlive/show-texlive-libs.sh
>      1 Unwanted dependencies on local libraries
>      1 mf              /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>      1 pdfclose        /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>      1 pdfopen         /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

these all use X libraries that might trigger that libgcc_s.so.1

>      1 xdvipdfmx       /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
> 			/usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
> 			/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.6
> 			/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1
> 			/usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.1
>      1 xetex           /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
> 			/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.6
> 			/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1
> 		        /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.1

these two use libfontconfig which in turn depends on libfreetype, libexpat,
and libz (in addition to the libz.a already used for the binaries).

The dependencies on X libraries and libfontconfig are mentioned in
Build/source/README and I don't see how to avoid them.  Wheter these
libraries are installed under /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, /usr/X11R6/lib, or
/usr/X11R7/lib (or perhaps on lib64 variants) will certainly be different
for different systems and is not anything TeX Live can influence.

IMHO the relevant question is not if libraries are found under /usr/lib or
/usr/local/lib but rather if they can be expected to be present on the
target systems.

Regards
Peter