[tlbuild] libiconv issue

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Tue Apr 17 10:07:38 CEST 2012

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Paul Vojta wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 07:02:09PM -0600, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
>> For now, I've just edited source/Work/texk/xdvik/c-auto.h to comment
>> out the three lines that contain ICONV, and then rebuilt xdvi with
>>
>> 	make iconv_libs=

Hi Nelson,

or even better, configure using '--without-iconv'

>> However, it would be helpful for TeX Live builds to modify xdvik's
>> configure.ac to remove (preferably, comment out, with an explanation)
>> the
>>
>> 	XDVI_CHECK_ICONV
>>
>> line and regenerate the configure script.  That should, I think,
>> prevent the build from referencing anything from libiconv.

> Disabling libiconv for all builds seems like overkill.

Agreed.  Unfortunately even disabling iconv for all `native TeX Live' builds
would be overkill, because on many systems iconv is part of the standard
libc with no separate libiconv, e.g., on our Linux systems.  It would
certainly serve no useful purpose to disable iconv on such systems.

> People producing TeX Live builds should check for dependencies on shared
> libraries in /usr/local, and invoke --without-lib* as necessary.  (IMHO.)

For native TeX Live builds they should check for dependencies on shared
libraries in general, not only those in /usr/local.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>