[tlbuild] ptexenc patch

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 00:54:36 CET 2012

On 2/28/2012 6:22 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
>      I'm working with one of the Cygwin developers to package TeX Live for
>      the Cygwin distribution.  So I'm using the configure options
>      --enable-shared and --disable-native-texlive-build.
>
> I'm never surprised when for-the-system builds fail.
>
>      In this setting the build in ptexenc fails because of undefined
>      symbols that should be found in the kpathsea library.
>
> We need Akira's, or someone's, input.
> (I'm a bit surprised this was not necessary all along.)
>
>      The attached patch fixes the problem.  As usual, I don't know
>      whether this is the right way to fix it.
>
> I'm not sure about adding it to *lib*ptexenc, shouldn't KPATHSEA_LIBS be
> relevant to the executable, not the library?

I don't really know anything about ptexenc or libtool, so I can't give
you a definitive answer.  But the README in texk/ptexenc says "`ptexenc'
is a useful library...".  So I'm assuming that the purpose of the build
in that directory is to produce the library.  And KPATHSEA_LIBS is
apparently needed for that.  The only other thing I know is:

1. The Cygwin developer I'm working with suggested that patch.

2. It works, in the sense that the build completes and the shared
ptexenc library is created.

Ken