[tlbuild] dvibook failure on Cygwin

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Feb 24 23:35:09 CET 2012

Hi Ken,

    Something is seriously wrong with getopt (from kpathsea) on Cygwin.

And always has been, and just never been noticed before?
Possible, I suppose, but doesn't seem especially likely.

    /home/kbrown/src/texlive/Build/test/texk/kpathsea/getopt.h:53:22:
    warning: 'optarg' redeclared without dllimport attribute: previous
    dllimport ignored
    I've always assumed this was a harmless warning,

Me too.  (Not that I like having that dll junk in there.)

    but could it possibly be related to the present problem?

I doubt it.

    Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Unfortunately, it would seem difficult for anyone on a non-Cygwin system
(i.e., me) to get to the bottom of this.  I'll see if I can see anything
in the source, though.

    necessary to use kpathsea version of getopt rather than the system
    version?

I would say yes.  Using the system getopt would induce all kinds of
possibly-unknown system-dependent behavior that would be visible to
users, with plenty of undesirable ramifications.

Pretend I had written kpse_getopt everywhere ...

Sorry,
karl