[tlbuild] "dvi2tty" test failure

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Jan 27 20:49:28 CET 2011

On 27 January 2011 Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

 > On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
 >
 > > On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 > >
 > >> I must admit that I don't understand your test.  When I compare the
 > >> output of dvi2tty with the source file test.tex, I see that the
 > >> verbatim parts are identical, isn't this what you expect?
 > >>
 > >> In other words, I don't understand test.tty.  Is this file wrong?
 > >
 > > It took me some time to understand what happens: ....
 >
 > Hi Reinhard and Angelo,
 >
 > this was all wrong.  The problem was an uninitialized field in a malloc'ed
 > struct, fixed in r21189.

Hi Peter,
it works now.  Thanks.

However, there is a warning during the dvips test.  It is ignored and
the test itself doesn't fail.

./dvips: DVI file can't be opened: ../../../texk/dvipsk/testdata/quotecmd.dvi: No such file or directory
PASS: quotecmd-test.pl

There is a file texk/dvipsk/testdata/quotecmd.tex but no corresponding
dvi file.  When I create the dvi file and run the test again, I get:

This is dvips(k) 5.99 Copyright 2010 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2011.01.27:2011' -> /dev/null
<../../../texk/dvipsk/testdata/texc.pro>
<../../../texk/dvipsk/testdata/special.pro>. [1
<../../../texk/dvipsk/testdata/ 2>&1 | echo badnews > pwned.txt #.gz>
gzip: ../../../texk/dvipsk/testdata/ 2>&1 | echo badnews > pwned.txt #.gz: unexpected end of file
]
PASS: quotecmd-test.pl

I suppose that the test passed because dvips exited with status != 0.

But if I understand this test correctly, the purpose is not to test
how dvips reacts on a missing dvi file but whether it aborts when the
dvi file contains a \special which tries to create a malicious file.
Hence, I suppose that the dvi file should created before the test is
performed.

Regards and thanks,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25