[tlbuild] TeX Live 2010 Regression Test Failure on OpenBSD

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Jun 16 11:16:42 CEST 2010

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, Edd Barrett wrote:

> $5 = (char_entry *) 0xd0d0d0d0d0d0d0d0
> (gdb) p *$
> Cannot access memory at address 0xd0d0d0d0d0d0d0d0
> ---8<---
>
> I can tell you what has happened here, 0xd0 is what freshly allocated buffers
> are filled with in OpenBSD if you have the 'J' malloc flag enabled. I refer you
> to the malloc(3) man page of OpenBSD:

Hi Edd,

that was helpful.  Another close look at the code revealed a loophole in the
logic of ensure_existence(), now fixed in r19002.  I am just wondering why
this same problem didn't occur elsewhere; could be that the first large
malloc() usually returns an area filled with zeros.

Please try and report the result.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>