[tlbuild] Building failure[xindy]

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Tue May 18 10:11:36 CEST 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Ken Brown wrote:

> Would you mind explaining briefly what the issue was?  Cygwin tries to
> emulate linux; if its bash shell behaves differently than linux's, I'd like
> to report that to the Cygwin developers.

Hi Ken,

The problem is, that the clisp command creates two lines of output.

At first I was puzzled by this, because I tried various things such as
   xx=`echo foo; echo`; echo "xx=\"$xx\""
or
   xx="`echo foo; echo`"; echo "xx=\"$xx\""
and always got xx="foo" under both linux's bash 4.1.2(1) and cygwin's 3.x.x

I finally realized that the problem was due to the funny (f***ing) line
ends.  I created a file f with two lines 'foo' and '', and did xx=`cat f`.

With unix line ends I got xx="foo" but there was a line break in the result
with dosish line ends (under both linux and cygwin).

The bash manpages says: ... with any trailing newlines deleted
but doesn't mention carriage return.  So all this is probably consistent
with the specs.

Regards
Peter