[tlbuild] mingw cross-compilation fails at ICU

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Apr 26 11:35:54 CEST 2010

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> With current sources,
>
> ./Build --host=i586-mingw32msvc --build=x86_64-linux-gnu
>
> fails while configuring ICU:
>
> make[5]: Making `all' in `stubdata'
> make[6]: entrant dans le répertoire «
> /home/mpg/tl/source/Work/libs/icu/icu-build/stubdata »
>

> *** ERROR - configure could not detect your platform
> *** see the readme.html
> *** or, try copying icu/source/config/mh-linux to mh-unknown
> ***   and editing it.

Hi Manuel,

can you look into Work/build.log:

After "=== configuring in icu-build", there ought to be
"checking build system type..." and "checking host system type...".
What are they? In particular is host system type "i586-mingw32msvc" or
"i586-pc-mingw32msvc"?

BTW: Using '--build=i686-linux-gnu --host=i386-pc-mingw32' for gcc cross
compiler I have no such problem.

> I didn't check yet if cross-compiling ICU using the procedure described in
>
> icu/readme.html#HowToCrossCompileICU
>
> succeeds, but I can try if you think this is worth it.

Might be worth it, but may also be just a waste of time.  The only
difference between the TL build procedure and the one described readme.html
is that TL directly uses configure and not runConfigureICU.

A quite different point.  If you configure with '--disable-xetex' and
'--disable-bibtexu' the icu libraries are not used. Can you then build
everything else?

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>