[tlbuild] rebuild time

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Tue Sep 15 15:51:57 CEST 2009

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, Karl Berry wrote:

>    in texk/xdvipdfmx/configure (diff attached) to make a build using system
>    freetype libraries succeed on NetBSD 5.  Without the patch building
>    fails because FreeType 1 headers get included before FreeType 2 headers.
>
> I think it'll be best to let Peter look at this when he gets back,
> especially since it's not critical for any other system (it seems,
> although I'm not sure why not).
>
>    to m4/kpse-common.m4 which inserts the added flags before instead of
>    after the existing flags to CFLAGS?
>
> At first blush, seems dangerous.

Hi Karl, Jukka,

true, the order of includes is important -- at least in principle.

In practice, however, this seems to be uncritical in TL except for
freetype1/freetype2.  Why didn't the freetype people choose a less fragile
scheme (as the one used for glib-1/glib-2).

Anyway, I'll probably have to change m4/kpse-common.m4 as proposed by Jukka,
and at the same time reverse the order of freetype and freetype2 in
kpse-pkgs.m4.

Karl,

should I do that now or wait until after the freeze (it will change
practically all generated configure files).

Jukka,

it seems to me that your problem is triggered by some CPPFLAGS you have to
pass to configure in order to locate some system headers.  Correct?

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>