[tlbuild] linking against expat ... why

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Aug 27 14:33:42 CEST 2009

Hi Vladimir, Karl, Peter,

(Ccing the respective persons)

On Mi, 26 Aug 2009, Vladimir Volovich wrote:
>  NP> But: $ strings -a Master/bin/x86_64-linux/xetex | grep '\.so'
>  NP> /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 libfontconfig.so.1 libexpat.so.1
>  NP> libfreetype.so.6 libz.so.1 libm.so.6 libc.so.6
>
>  NP> So we have libexpat in there?
>
>  NP> Of all the xetex binaries we have rogue deps on libexpat in:
>  NP> mips-irix (.so.1) sparc-linux (.so.0) x86_64-linux (.so.1)
>
>  NP> Can we fix that, at least for x86_64-linux that would be fine!
>
> i was manually relinking xetex on the platforms i build on, by noticing
> the invocation of libtool to link xetex, and changing it to move the
> -lfontconfig at the end.

Can we do that *at*least* for x86_64-linux?

On the TL list we got another report about that, it seems that RH something
does not ship expat.so.1, so we are hosed here. That would be a pain.

I have built xetex and the libs are the same without expat, but it adds
	libpthread.so.0
so I am not happy about that, too.

Who else can build on an old x86_64-linux machine and check
afterwards with
	strings -a xetex | grep '\.so'
please?

> http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2009q2/000699.html
> (and other messages in that thread)
>
> which could allow to solve this in general case, without the need of
> manual relinking.
>
> Peter had some objections but i didn't have time to discuss it further.

Pity. Strange enough the freetype etc links are anyway not included, only
	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
	libfontconfig.so.1
	libm.so.6
	libc.so.6