[tlbuild] linking against expat ... why

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Aug 26 15:05:47 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

maybe one of you can help me. I am investigating why on earth xetex is
linked to libexpat while it does definitely NOT use any symbols directly,
but only via usage of libfontconfig.

I thought that adding --as-needed to the ldflags via -Wl,--as-needed should
do that trick, but it doesn't because the -lexpat is not given directly
on the cmd line nor anywhere else. It is included out of pure magic
and I have no idea why.

Anyone of you?

Best wishes

Norbert