[tlbuild] asymptote search path

John Bowman bowman at math.ualberta.ca
Tue Aug 11 21:24:07 CEST 2009

> > The asymptote manual says that ~/.asy/ is used as a search path for
> > local additions for global Asymptote files. However, under MacTeX
> > 2009, this is now:
> >    ~/.texlive2009/texmf-config/asymptote/
>
> I suspect this is true for the TeX Live builds too, since Dick (also
> cc'd) doesn't do anything different when he does the mac build of asy.
>
> Evidently somehow TEXMFCONFIG is being used in kpathsea mode?  I don't
> get this and didn't have a chance to delve into the sources.  It seems
> like ~/.asy should be constant, independent of whether it's a kpathsea
> or "normal" build?

Hi Karl,

The manual already mentions that $TEXMFCONFIG/asymptote is used instead
under TeXLive:

http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/doc/Configuring.html#Configuring

I would have prefered to consistently use ~/.asy too, but Tomek requested
the following change. The rationale is that asy writes to this directory
and ~/.asy might not be writeable (e.g. when using TL from a USB
stick).

We can easily revert this change though (or maybe use some environment
variable to make it optional?). Let me know what you prefer.

Regards,

-- John

r4457 | jcbowman | 2009-06-26 00:19:00 -0600 (Fri, 26 Jun 2009) | 2 lines
Changed paths:
   M /trunk/asymptote/settings.cc

Use $TEXMFCONFIG/asymptote for configuration directory under TeXLive.