[tlbuild] altering the relative links to scripts

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jul 16 00:53:35 CEST 2009

    I thought perhaps --datadir=${LOCALBASE}/share/texmf may have worked,
    but I guess not. Is this possible with the new build system?

See Build/source/texk/texlive/linked_scripts/Makefile.am, the
install-data-hook target, namely:

    ## We support both multiplatform and non-multiplatform builds.
    install-data-hook:
            case "$(bindir)" in \
              */bin) $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) REL=.. install-links;; \
              */bin/*) $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) REL=../.. install-links;; \
              *) echo "strange directory '$(bindir)' for linked scripts" >&2; \
                 exit 1;; \
            esac

I believe that if you change REL in those calls to have the /share at
the end, you'll get what you need.  Alternatively, of course you could
postprocess the links with a separate script.  I don't believe this can
be controlled at configure time, at present anyway.
(If it's useful/needed in general, we should do that; that'd be a
question for tldistro more than here ...)

Karl

P.S. Peter, it appears to me that the scriptxdir and scriptdir variables
in that Makefile.am are unused and should be deleted.  Am I missing
something?  Tx.