[tlbuild] PATCHES: --with-system-xpdf, various build system niggles...

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Tue Jul 14 15:30:57 CEST 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, Edd Barrett wrote:

> The first is a problem with /bin/sh and the quoting used on POPPLER_VERSION.

Hi Ed,

I'll have to look into this and will come back to it. BTW: what is your
/bin/sh?

> The second are some missing fontconfig includes in the build system, which
> only show themselves when using an external poppler.

What is your poppler version, and what is the output from
 	pkg-config poppler --modversion
 	pkg-config poppler --cflags
 	pkg-config poppler --libs
It seems that libpoppler requires libfontconfig, but the .pc files doesn't
say so. That is OK with ELF shared libraries on linux, but may well
be a problem with BSD libraries. (Same for -lm).

> Also I had to add LDFLAGS=-lm to have the poppler test (in ./configure) work,
> otherwise a few math.h functions would remain unresolved. There is not a patch
> for this, I add it manually to the port build.

I wonder why this test did not also require libfontconfig.

> I am not sure if these patches are suitable for mainstream usage, but I
> thought I would bring them to your attention.

Certainly not as such, because that are all derived files.

Once all this is understood somewhat better, m4/kpse-xpdf-flags.m4 and
texk/web2c/{pdf,lua}texdir/am/*.am can be modified.  At the moment I don't
yet know what exactly needs to be done.

> May I also suggest --with-gettext-includes= and --with-gettext-libdir=
> configure options. On OpenBSD gettext (when installed) goes into /usr/local/.
> As a quick hack I tried adding CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
> LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib, although this did build the parts needing gettext
> properly, it caused the system ICU to be used for XeTeX, which obviously does
> not work. For now I have had to patch in manually these paths only where
> gettext is used.

Who needs the gettext library and who needs gettext includes?

This is somewhat tricky because these extra flags must come quite late, after
those for ICU from the TL tree. I am somewhat opposed to these names but I
could imagine --with-extra-includes and/or --with-extra-libs.

Regards
Peter