[tlbuild] build on linux-powerpc

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Fri Jun 19 12:26:05 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I've finally managed to make a test build on my linux-powerpc system
(I had to reinstall a few weeks ago and am now running debian). Build
is successful.

./Build: 307 executables

Can I add just a few random remarks and questions? If this is not
interesting to the rest of the list, send me a mail off-list.

1. I compiled inside a linux32 subshell. My system is 64-bit. since 64-
bit systems can run 32-bit binaries but not vice versa, I think it is
the safest course to compile and ship 32-bit. Is this correct?

2. I had to make two attempts to compile xindy. One thing that I found
confusing (maybe I'm particularly dense, but I only do this once a
year :-) In the "Special Considerations for xindy" sections, could the
sentence "pass --enable-xindy CLISP=/path/to/clisp to Build" be made a
bit more explicit? Such as "the CLISP variable should point to the
location of the actual clisp binary, so pass --enable-xindy CLISP=</
path/to/clisp-binary> to Build." After setting so many clisp variables
and creating so many directories, I was a bit confused what CLISP was
actually expecting.

3. I lost count of the actual status of asymptote and texworks at the
moment. Am I right to suppose: asymptote: directions for compiling
will follow, don't try atm; texworks: too much trouble because of
incompatible libraries, don't try at all? and xz: I had sent a binary
a few weeks ago; is that enough or should I recompile once more?

Looking forward to TL2009! All best

Thomas