[tlbuild] How should xetex find texlive fonts?

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Jun 16 16:27:53 CEST 2009

On Di, 16 Jun 2009, Ken Brown wrote:
> $ cat .fonts.conf
> <?xml version='1.0'?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
>  <fontconfig>
>    <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
>    <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
>    <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/type1</dir>
> </fontconfig>
>
> I then ran xetex again and it worked.  Why didn't it just work OOTB?  Is

Font configuration on Unix is *not* done at all. We cannot configure a
globally installed fontconfig in /etc/fonts, nor do I want to add stuff
to .fonts.conf.

Only on W32 where we ship fontconfig we can adjust the configuration
file and make it find the fonts immediately.

I consider this admin job to drop some file into /etc/fonts/conf.d (at
least on Debian this is the way).

Best wishes

Norbert