[tlbuild] tl09 build status

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jun 2 02:30:11 CEST 2009

Here's where we are with the TeX Live 2009 builds.

I think we are finally converging with the main sources.  I gather there
will be updates for XeTeX and MetaPost soon, but it would be good to try
a test build now, if you haven't in a while.  I expect to start asking
for binaries to check in as soon as the above changes are in.  I have
nothing else pending for the sources at this point.

Then there are the "extra" programs:

Regarding xindy, nothing has changed or is planned to change.  It's not
included in the build, and the program itself is the same as it was last
year.  So enable it in the build if you can (see the end of
source/utils/README), don't worry about it if you can't.

Regarding asymptote, Peter and I decided that we would not try to revamp
its infrastructure at present, so it can't be enabled in the normal
Build.  I'll send another message when I have a procedure to try for it;
I've been working with the author trying to get it going.

Finally, there is texworks, not previously mentioned (much).  We want to
include this new GUI front end from Jonathan Kew in TeX Live this year,
on whichever platforms it can be built for.  It requires Qt, so our
usual strategy of using old systems probably won't fly too well.  It'll
work for some users, and that's all we can hope for.  Please see
http://tug.org/texworks and its links to get the sources and give it a
try.

Jonathan, perhaps you could advise us all about TW's general status?

Thanks,
Karl