[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- second summary

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Mon May 4 23:21:01 CEST 2009

On 5/4/2009 1:15 PM, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> ...a static libstdc++ if possible

Hi again,

Once we solve the zlib issue, I might need help with statically linking
with libstdc++.  According to cygwin's gcc-4 documentation, this is
supposed to be possible:

"By default, user applications will be linked against these DLLs unless
the option '-static' is supplied to GCC during the build.  If linking
statically against libstdc++, you should also use '-static-libgcc' to
link likewise against libgcc, or you will experience segfaults on
program termination."

The texlive build log is full of lines like

	checking if g++-4 static flag -static works... yes

But I couldn't find the -static flag in any of the g++ command lines in
the log.  And the following seems to indicate that libstdc++ is in fact
being linked dynamically, unless I'm misinterpreting the results:

$ cygcheck ./pdftex.exe
D:\cygwin-1.7\tmp\tl2009\source\Work\texk\web2c\pdftex.exe
   D:\cygwin-1.7\bin\cygwin1.dll
     C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
       C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
         C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll