[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- second summary

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon May 4 20:43:31 CEST 2009

    That should be easy provided there is a libfontconfig.la

There is no file named libfontconfig.la on my systems, eg, where I make
the i386-linux binaries.  So that's not going to work.

    I think you have to keep
            xetex_cppflags += $(FREETYPE2_INCLUDES) $(ZLIB_INCLUDES)
    and pray that the installed headers and those from the TL tree are
    compatible.  Not very nice, but might work.

Agreed that it's not very nice, but I think it does work.

    I'd love to check that the installed freetype headers come from the
    same version as those in the TL tree, i.e., currently 2.3.9 but at
    the moment don't see how to do that (other that compiling a small
    test program checking just this).

We must not force a particular version of zlib|freetype|expat on the
build system.  I couldn't build the i386-linux binaries if we did.

FWIW, the i386-linux/xetex binary in TL 2008 dynamically links with
expat (.so.0), freetype (.6), and fontconfig (.1), but not libz for some
reason.  I don't know how this came about, but the result works.

I seem to recall that we tried to eliminate the freetype dynamic link too,
but that caused problems because different versions of fontconfig really
did need their respective versions of freetype.  There were no such
problems with libz.

If a particular xetex binary uses a dynamically-linked libz, it's
certainly no disaster since we're already linking against so much else.