[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- second summary

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Sat May 2 13:28:18 CEST 2009

On 5/1/2009 7:51 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Ken Brown ha scritto:
>
>> Your mail arrived while I was composing a message with a different
>> solution:  Build --with-system-zlib.
>
> Indeed. But if I remember correctly, the TL guys want the executable
> linked *with* TL libs not those of the host system.

Well, the xetex build links with the host system's libfontconfig, so it
would seem natural to live with the consequences of that.  Moreover, the
zlib in the TL source tree seems to be the plain vanilla upstream
source, which hasn't changed in four years, and the same is true of
cygwin's zlib; so this seems harmless to me.  But I'll do whatever Peter
et al say is best.

As to the need for -DU_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION, I noticed that the build
of the icu libraries uses this flag automatically, as a result of the
following in libs/icu/icu-xetex/config/mh-cygwin:

## Flags to create/use a static library
ifneq ($(ENABLE_SHARED),YES)
## Make sure that the static libraries can be built and used
CPPFLAGS += -DU_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION
else
## Make sure that the static libraries can be built
STATICCPPFLAGS = -DU_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION
endif

Presumably the build system for xetex could similarly figure out the
need for this flag.

All of this can wait until Peter is ready.  At least we know now that
the build can be made to work.

Ken