[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- second summary

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Sat May 2 01:41:46 CEST 2009

On 5/1/2009 7:27 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> The patch-workaround which fixes the problem is this:
[...]

Hi Angelo,

Your mail arrived while I was composing a message with a different
solution:  Build --with-system-zlib.  This prevents the final link
command from linking against both the system zlib and the TL zlib, and
it produces a working xetex.exe.  (Or at least xetex --version works.)

By the way, I located the source of the -lz.  It's brought in by libtool
because we're linking against fontconfig.  My /usr/lib/libfontconfig.la
contains the following:

# libfontconfig.la - a libtool library file
# Generated by ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 2.2.2
[...]
# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=' /usr/lib/libiconv.la /usr/lib/libfreetype.la -lz
/usr/lib/libexpat.la'

I suspect yours is the same except that you probably don't have libiconv
with your version of X11.

Maybe Peter or one of the other experts can tell us if there's any
downside to building --with-system-zlib, or if there's a better way to
work around the libtool issue.

Ken

P.S. With my solution, I don't know if -DU_STATIC_IMPLEMENTATION is
still necessary.  I'll try without it and see what happens.