[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- second summary

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Apr 29 14:48:17 CEST 2009

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, Ken Brown wrote:

>> Could you please look at texk/xdvik/config.log to see what went wrong with
>> the test.  There should be:
>>     checking for library containing iconv
>> followed by the commands performed to test for the library needed for
>> iconv(), details in case of failure, and finally the result.
>
> The excerpt from config.log is attached.  ....

Hi Ken,

thanks for the excerpt, unfortunately this is only the first part of what I
need.  The macro 'AC_SEARCH_LIBS([iconv], [iconv recode])' tries to link a
small test program using iconv() first without additional libraries, and
according to the excerpt that failed with "undefined reference to `_iconv'"
as to be expected.  Then the same is tried again with '-liconv' or
'-lrecode' added, and that should have succeeded (unless libiconv requires
additional libraries).  All this should end with the test result (the same
as in build.log) which could be either '-liconv', '-lrecode', or 'no' (or
'none required' as on linux where no library is needed).

> ...  By the way, I looked back at the
> log from my build of TL2008, and the test failed there also.  But I never
> noticed any problems as a result.  And I do have iconv installed on my system
> (libiconv-1.12).

So it would definitely be good to have that fixed, although xdvi is probably
quite useful without iconv.

Regards
Peter