[tlbuild] TeX Live builds -- a first summary

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:10:05 CEST 2009

On 4/27/2009 6:28 AM, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

> (1) Maybe my original msg caused some confusion. The sources are in
>     svn://tug.org/texlive/trunk/Build/source
> not
>     rsync tug.org::tldevsrc/Build/source
> in case these two are different. There must be a top-level file WARNING
> from 2009-04-24 (or later).

I used rsync, but the WARNING is dated 2009-04-24, so I guess this was OK.

>> gcc -g -O2  ... tangle.c   -o tangle
>> tangle.c:2:21: cpascal.h: No such file or directory
>> tangle.c:17: error: parse error before "textfile"
>
> That looks like a builtin rule, used instead of the explicit rules in (the
> generated) Makefile, something like:
>     tangle.obj: tangle.c tangle.h
>         gcc <includes> ... -c tangle.c -o tangle.obj
>     tangle.exe: tangle.obj
>         gcc <ldflags> ... tangle.obj <libraries> -o tangle
>
> Could be that cygwin wants to be very clever and thus defeats the use of
> $(EXEEXT) and $(OBJEXT) in Makefile.in as generated by Automake.  This
> needs
> further investigation.
>
> Can you please send me the generated texk/web2c/Makefile.

OK, it's attached.  By the way, cygwin-1.7 is still in beta testing, but
I thought I should use it since it will probably be released long before
TL2009.  The current version is known to have a problem with file
locking that could conceivably cause parallel make to fail.  Could that
explain the failure?  If so, is there a way to disable parallel make for
testing purposes?

Ken

P.S.  I just saw your second message, concerning tangle as a dependency.
  I'll try your suggestion as soon as possible and get back to you.