[tlbuild] Testing cxx-runtime-hack -- V 1.1

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Mon Jan 26 14:14:41 CET 2009

On Jan 26, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

> 3. For a TL binary build we would certainly want the resulting
> binaries to
> run on the most systems.
>
> That means in general not to use too recent compiler (e.g., gcc-3.3 or
> gcc-3.4, not gcc-4.x) and C library (e.g., GNU libc-2.3, not libc-2.8)
> versions.

Sure, as I said: I'm not a programmer, and I'm more than willing to
install gcc3.3 on my system to compile texlive 2009.

Peter, one little remark to the little table you have compiled: linux-
ppc is in fact == powerpc-linux; I think Karl renamed it to that. And
I remember why, and that is something that we/you should think about
when you ship TL2009: my system identifies itself as ppc64. The
processor is indeed a ppc64, but as far as I know, the complete
userland is 32-bit. There are only a few linux distros that actually
offer ppc-versions, but it's unlikely that any of them provide 64-bit
binaries; most of them will (like my SuSE installation) just provide a
64-kernel. Which means that the install script should recognize ppc64
and then suggest installing powerpc-linux-binaries. I installed
texlive 2008 on this box a few days ago, and even though I
specifically checked the box, no binaries were installed; I had to
download them manually (and they work fine).

All best

Thomas